ALERT: Bushfires at Carnarvon Gorge National Park
Posted on October 28th, 2021
UPDATE 28 OCTOBER 2021: Carnarvon National Park is re-opening today, after recent rain reduced the bushfire threat.
- All visitor facilities, campgrounds and walking tracks will re-open, excluding the Carnarvon Great Walk.
- The Carnarvon Great Walk (and camping areas within the Great Walk) will remain closed for the seasonal closure, reopening at the start of March, 2022.
UPDATE 25 OCTOBER 2021: At this stage, the Carnarvon Gorge, Mount Moffatt and Salvator Rosa sections of Carnarvon National Park will remain CLOSED until this Sunday, 31 October, due to bushfires.
UPDATE 22 OCTOBER 2021: A bushfire is burning in Carnarvon National Park.
The entire park remains closed. This includes the Gorge section, incorporating walking tracks, visitor areas and car parks.
The Mount Moffatt section and the Carnarvon Great Walk, including Battleship Spur and associated remote campsites, will be shut until October 31.
What you should do:
- Keep medications close byD
- Decide what you will do if the situation changes.
- If you have a bushfire survival plan, refer to it now.
- Identify where you will go and what you will take if you need to leave.
- Advise family and friends of your plans.
- Avoid smoke – stay indoors, close windows and doors, and avoid driving through smoke where possible.
- Be aware of firefighters working in the area.
- If your life or property is threatened, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
- There is no threat to property at this time.
- Reduced air quality may cause health impacts for some people.
- Smoke may reduce visibility and affect driving conditions.
- Roads may be closed.
POSTED 21 OCTOBER 2021: You’ll need to tweak your plans if you were going to head to Carnarvon Gorge soon.
The Gorge section of the National Park will close from 3pm today due to bushfires. That includes walking tracks, visitor areas and car parks.
The Mount Moffatt section of the park is already closed until further notice and the Carnarvon Great Walk, including Battleship Spur and associated remote campsites, are shut until October 31.